Some of the concepts related to plant-based electricity that have already been internalized in the community are variables such as:
- Environmental Protection
- Low carbon lifestyles
- Smaller planetary footprint
- Carbon neutrality
- Ecological options
All of them have now become famous Consumers understand the importance of their contribution to climate change and, consequently, they are oriented towards purchasing decisions based on environmental protection.
From science, research indicates the role of plant-based foods, which are considered an effective strategy for optimize human health and environmental sustainability on earth.
- For example, the professional community work on a healthy diet from sustainable food systems.
In particular, the EAT LANCET Commission aims to design global scientific goals to achieve sustainable nutrition and sustainable food production.
The recommendations of this group are:
- Global consumption of fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds and legumes will have to double.
- Consumption of foods such as red meat and sugar must be reduced by more than 50%.
- A diet rich in plant-based foods and less animal-based foods provides good health and the environment.
They say oa planetary health panel, where half is occupied by fruits and vegetables. The remaining part should be taken up by whole grains, sources of vegetable proteins, unsaturated vegetable oils and (if desired) modest amounts of animal proteins.
You are probably interested in: Plant Based Report, the future of food on a large scale
Plant market growth
The plant-based market has seen significant and continuous growth. It is even estimated that it will reach 162 billion dollars in the next decade.
Furthermore, consumption habits, accompanied by various initiatives for plant-based products, are predicted to evolve according to this trend in the coming decades.
- IN Argentina 12% of the population are vegans and vegetarians. 12% define themselves as flexitarians. Whereby 24% of the population chooses plant-based food.
- IN NOW, a third of the population is actively reducing their consumption of meat and dairy products. Studies show that the flexitarian population represents the greatest opportunity for plant-based food growth.
- IN Europe The vast majority of consumers consider food based on plant proteins to be better for the environment compared to proteins of animal origin. There is an increase in the use of vegan claims.
- IN Asia The pandemic has resulted in a greater number of consumers adopting healthier lifestyles and diets. 3 out of 5 adults in China tend to consume more nutritious foods and drinks. Brands of herbal drinks, yogurt and ice cream usually enrich the products with vitamins, minerals, proteins, and calcium. 47% of adults in China are looking for plant-based drinks that are high in protein.
Trends in food development
Some of the structures that will be implemented to meet global needs are:
- As for segmentation and meal times, tendencies towards nutrition in the life period (nutrition in different periods of life), sensory experiences and indulgent enjoyment.
- In the topic of plant and alternative proteins, a trend towards animal welfarelab-grown meat, meat analogues, for example.
- Within sustainable food and environmental management, trends point to conscious and organic consumption for people and the planet. A future without plastic, reducing food waste and working on the role of ethical brands.
- Back to the local and back to the roots. As well as satisfying consumer demands for knowledge of the origin of food.
- Food as medicine through functional food.
- Food technology and digital economy. It features digital traceability, data-driven health, packaging technology, food delivery, among other options.
- Ingredients new + old ingredients.
- Clean label and minimal processing.
Continue reading: Plant-based: a trend that will change the food system
How to satisfy consumers?
In addition to the already known range of products such as veggie burgers, vegetable drinks, cultured meat, incorporation of legume flour into pastries and bread products, among others; We can also mention other options such as:
This technology is currently accelerating food innovation.
For example, a new generation of food companies developing plant-based alternatives using algorithms to discover new opportunities in plant-based formulations (such as NotCo).
Food sales technology
Companies that only sell through their website, for example, plant-based burgers.
Comparison of sweet plant milk
A product suitable for vegans and coeliacs that has been developed on a plant basis and is formulated without ingredients of animal origin. These products are chosen not only by the vegan and vegetarian population, but also by consumers who opt for healthy alternatives.
In the formulation of this product, a combination of nuts, pea protein and oilseeds was used, resulting in a candy with a protein content and total dry matter comparable to that obtained from cow’s milk.
Consider the options for children
In Argentina, healthy cookies for children were developed from a combination of vegetables, with reduced sugar and fat content, without artificial colors and flavors.
In new combinations, we can mention variants of the textured product based on legumes (chickpeas) and rice, such as carrot + ginger, sweet potato + vanilla, banana + cocoa, beetroot + lemon, bean flour was used.
These products represent the first approach to vegetable consumption in children.
The current scenario is characterized by the population affected by pathologies due to deficiency (acute and chronic malnutrition, chronic growth retardation, anemia, etc.ether), and diseases (non-communicable chronic diseases such as obesity, diabetes, hypertension, dyslipidemia), a situation that presents itself as an opportunity for the development of plant-based products whose growth has a favorable projection.
Don’t forget to see: The herbal trend and its penetration into the food industry