The food safetyFrom the chain’s point of view, it is a concept that, when implemented, should help the consumer, regardless of which country they are in, to have access to safe and secure animal protein.
In an exclusive interview for Food technology, Alfredo Ostos, Senior Manager of Corporate Affairs at Elanco LATAM, points out that this means that food security encompasses several aspects, not just hunger. It is supported by:
- Supply chain and availability issues.
- Sufficiency of food.
- Access to nutritious food.
- A balanced diet.
- Fight for food insecurity.
“Animal proteins play an important role in achieving a balanced diet. Taking as a reference the Plate of good food and the three main food groups, animal proteins are crucial for the development of the human being,” declares Ostos.
“The obligation of those within the production chain is to deliver protein of animal origin in a safe and protected manner that guarantees food sovereignty. Therefore, We have two important concepts: food security and sovereignty“, he adds.
What role does animal production play in sustainability?
According to Ostos, today we have a deadline, a window of 9 years until 2030, because the sustainability of the planet is threatened and it is an issue that concerns all of us. Animals are the solution, why? Because sustainable animal production can help guarantee food security and sovereignty for the world’s population.
“By 2050, it is estimated that there will be 9.7 billion inhabitants on the planetbut if production continues the way it was done until a few years ago, we will not be able to produce enough food for everyone,” he emphasizes.
“If some of the current production systems and rhythms continue, food will be completely unsustainable, since the environment will be contaminated, and regulations would put an end to that,” he adds.
Today, sustainable production is the way to go, guaranteeing:
- End all forms of malnutrition.
- Double the agricultural productivity and income of small producers.
- Ensure the sustainability of the food production system.
- Help with resilient agricultural practices that increase productivity and contribute to ecosystem maintenance, strengthen the ability to adapt to climate change, and gradually improve soil and land quality.
In that sense, The trend in production is to ensure food safety in a sustainable and responsible way. The alternative is sustainable livestock productionas?:
- With environmentally friendly procedures.
- Re-conversion of waste generated by the production of animal protein.
- The use of modern technologies that transform and help better use of the environment.
You may be interested in: Greenhouse gases in animal husbandry
How to promote food safety and sustainable solutions?
“The production of animal protein is aligned with the regulations that different countries have, so a company that does not produce sustainably, that ignores environmental codes, will be sanctioned,” says Ostos.
When we talk about sustainability, says the manager of Elanca, it focuses not only on the planet, but also on promoting the concept called “Health People”, which has four key points:
- healthy mind
- Hello people
- healthy animals
- Healthy companies
“You always have to balance that equation, because if someone fails, said equation falls. An example is the Covid-19 pandemic, where people failed because people got sick, but the planet improved, animals continued and businesses were affected,” he explains.
“It is not only a matter of work, passing laws for both, but with this philosophy of taking measures and corrective measures for the benefit of everyone as a whole. The world and companies must be consistent and promote responsible production and consumption“, he points out.
“In the production of proteins of animal origin, science allows us to have safe, secure and proven solutions for giving feed to cows, but at the same time to enable conversion”, notes the manager.
Ostos points out that these solutions also enable “animal welfare”, which means:
- Good treatment of the animal, without abuse.
- A guarantee of good quality of a decent life.
- That the animal is not closed in a pen.
- Have the necessary conditions.
- Have water and a proper balanced diet.
- Have good veterinary management and good genetic selection.
Today, the more flexible and comprehensive Animal Health Act comes into force
We have simplified a large number of pieces of legislation into one law, with clearer rules, allowing authorities to focus on preventing and eradicating disease
Animal health is your health⤵#ZdravlježivotinjaEU
— Food safety in the EU – #EUFarm2Fork (@Food_EU) April 21, 2021
Challenges for guaranteeing food safety
Alfredo Ostos believes that due to Covid-19, the number of people who have faced food insecurity acute 2020 and 2021 However, it also provided opportunities in the production chain:
- The production of proteins of animal origin is mentioned.
- The production model has been redesigned
- Without complete food availability, producers became very creative and began to create sustainable solutions to produce more with less without affecting animal welfare.
How to produce more with less? “To be profitable for all participants in the chainThat is, if the good is produced, there is no reason to pass the final cost on to the consumer. If things are done well with simple practices, prices don’t have to rise,” he says.
“The second strategy is the integration of all participants in the chain from different countries in to create a network of knowledge, where everyone is connected, they act through joint work, good practices and shared knowledgeOstos points out.
You may be interested: This is the way to decarbonize food and guarantee environmental protection