Plastic packaging plays an irreplaceable role in the chain of food production, distribution and consumption. By protecting them, they avoid contamination and reduce waste. At the end of their life cycle, both disposable plastic packaging and those made of all other materials become part of Urban Solid Waste (MSW). MSW – its management and final disposal – is an environmental problem that occurs at the national and international level.
For this reason, ECOPLAS, a professional technical association specialized in plastics and the environment, has certificates for recycled plastics, which favor sustainable waste management. packaging post-consumer plastics with more than 60 participating brands and companies.
The listed certificates for sustainable management of plastic packaging post consumption They are based on their recyclability. They have a registered Ecoplasa trademark with the Manito logo, which identifies and certifies packaging made from recyclable plastic material. Therefore, certified packaging is easier: to identify, recover and recycle. Manito’s isologues are:
– Recyclable polyethylene
– Polypropylene which can be recycled
– Recyclable polyvinyl chloride
– Recyclable polystyrene
The containers are printed with “Manito”, which allows better identification for separation, recovery and recycling. They are compatible with the recycling industry chain for their materials.
By becoming a member, companies/brands receive certificates for their packaging and by incorporating the “Manito” brand, they ensure easier recycling and thus contribute to sustainability and environmental protection. La Manito confirms that the packaging material is produced from raw materials that can be recycled. Rigid and flexible packaging can be certified.
As a professional technical organization specialized in plastics and the environment, ECOPLAS is the entity that verifies the certification. To do this, it performs technical laboratory tests on each container to obtain a certificate that technically verifies that its material is recyclable plastic. The Argentine Chamber of Plastic Recycling (CAIRPLAS) was consulted to be able to evaluate the material and demonstrate its sustainability.
STEPS FOR CERTIFICATION
The process is fast, simple and free. Interested brands and companies contact ECOPLAS directly, which:
1) Provides the application for adherence and the Regulations on the use of the certification mark that must be completed by the company submitting the application.
2) Perform appropriate laboratory tests.
3) After obtaining positive results, ECOPLAS issues a Certificate that enables the company or brand to use the “Manito” brand on certified packaging.
CONTRIBUTION OF RECYCLING PLASTIC PACKAGING
– Manito packaging is currently being recycled.
– Facilitates the identification of recyclable packaging for the consumer, contributing to household separation.
– Facilitates collection and classification by the urban collector (social sustainability).
– It is an opportunity for brands and companies to add value by contributing to environmental care by making it easier to recycle their packaging.
– Contributions to the sustainability of the plastic recycling industry.
Mechanical recycling is one of the most widespread recovery techniques in Argentina and the world. Currently, around 230,000 tons of plastic are recycled annually in the country, and this trend is growing. The plastic recycling industry is dynamic and work is being done on its profitability and economic and social sustainability.
Advantages of plastic recycling for the environment:
– Energy savings: 89% of energy is saved for the production of recycled raw materials than for the production of virgin raw materials.
– Reduction of greenhouse gas emissions.
– Reducing the volume of waste.
– Saving of natural resources.
– Lower carbon footprint
Ecoplas proactively cooperates with various government agencies to implement the separation, collection and recycling of certified packaging. It also contributes to the recycling sector through CAIRPLAS.
• La Serenísima milk has a polyethylene certificate that can be recycled. Brand Mastellone Hnos. she was a pioneer in including Manito in all milk bags and bottles, which contributed to the consumer and the sustainability of the packaging.
• The Yogurísimo brand has recently included a polyethylene certificate that can be recycled. All Yogurísimo pouches include Manito. Consumers can easily recognize it in home separation. The Danone brand has therefore decided to promote the use of recyclable materials, involving its consumers to contribute to environmental care and sustainability.
• Chango and Ledesma sugar containers have certified their recyclable polyethylene containers.
Source: Professional Technical Association Specialized in Plastics and the Environment (ECOPLAS), which launched Recycled Plastics Certifications (La Manito) for the sustainability of plastic packaging in Argentina.